If you want to meet people that share your interests, you’re invited to join our activities at St. Peter’s Church. There are also a number of volunteer opportunities that enable you to share your skills.
STAY IN TOUCH with what’s happening at St. Peter’s Church. Check our events calendar or if you’re volunteering this month, check the Gifts of Service Schedule.
UNDER CONSTRUCTION DURING CONSTRUCTION
Please check back soon!
Children & Youth
Children are precious to us! During the service, children from toddlers to grade 6 will be escorted to bright, colourful classrooms on the second floor and supervised by caring teachers. The Sunday School Team will captivate your child’s heart and imagination as they present God’s Word in fun and innovative ways.
Youth are welcome to participate in volunteer opportunities such as ushering, greeting, and singing in our choir.
Our two-year Affirmation of Baptism program for youth includes discussions, innovative and creative learning drawing upon Martin Luther, the Bible, the Confessions, and what our tradition says about modern issues for young people – issues that matter to them. If a topic is brought to the table, we talk about it in a safe, open environment where our young people can be themselves. At the end of the two years, youth are invited to stand before the congregation to “confirm” that the faith in which their parents and sponsors brought them for baptism has become their own.
Music & Choir
Music is a vital part of worship at St. Peter’s. The choir, musicians, and guest artists enrich our worship and enliven our praise! Choirs have served the church and led the musical portions of the liturgy for over a century.
Do you like to sing or play but don’t know where to contribute your talent? All adults and youth are welcome to join the Choir which is directed by Vlad Soloviev. This volunteer ensemble sings during the weekly worship service from September through June. They are assisted by six choral scholars. Weekly rehearsals are held Sundays at 9 am in the choir room. The choir sings a variety of repertoire from classical through gospel. There is always a place for your musical talent in the worship service.
The instruments used by the church for leading worship include a 3-manual Hallman pipe organ of 48 ranks, a Kawai grand piano in the main sanctuary, and a 3-rank portative organ by Brunzema.
To get involved, please call the church office at (519) 745-4705.
St. Peter’s congregation reaches out locally through funding provided to food voucher programs, camp programs, community support groups, exercise/yoga programs, etc.
Members also supports efforts of the wider church, regionally, nationally and internationally. Through regular donations to mission ministries of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada through the national church’s Eastern Synod Office.
These ministries include:
Volunteer & Giving Opportunities
St. Peter’s provides many opportunities to learn, grow in faith, and serve the needs of others. Some opportunities include:
- Greeters provide a warm welcome and the initial contact to people who enter the church for worship. They invite visitors to sign the guest book, and direct them to the coat racks, washrooms, fellowship hall, Sunday School rooms, and sanctuary.
- Acolytes and Ushers light and extinguish the candles and receive the offering at worship services. Ushers distribute hymnals and bulletins along with directing people to the Lord’s table.
- Assisting Ministers read the Old and New Testament readings during worship services, lead various parts of the liturgy, offer prayers and assist the pastor with Holy Communion.
- Coffee Hosts prepare refreshments for fellowship after every worship service.
- Altar Care volunteers prepare and maintain all altar linens, hangings, paraments, communion ware and supplies. Prior to each service, volunteers prepare for communion. There are special opportunities to enhance worship at Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas with creative altar displays.
Some other ways to get involved include:
St. Peter’s visitation volunteers are a family of Christians committed to the Gospel of Christ. “We love because He first loved us.” (1 John 4:19) Each month, volunteers visit congregation members in senior care residences, or in their homes, to remind them that they belong, and that the St. Peter’s family cares. During visits, we share interesting pictures, stories, and the church bulletin. We also inform them about church events and happenings. Some also receive communion.
Contact Pastor Mark to get involved.
The purpose of the Property Committee is to keep the church building and the many rooms, Chapel and Sanctuary, in good working condition.
Please contact Pastor Mark to join this committee.